Add Your Idea

domestic abuse support

Comment 21st July 2010

Review prevention, protection and support for women affected by domestic violence.  While the focus on the criminal justice approach has been good, this has taken away funding and support for those at medium and low levels of risk eg. outreach services in the community.  Both are required.  Many of the homicide victims have not previously had contact with the police or IDVA services.   High risk is around 5% of those affected by domestic violence, the other 95% is finding it increasingly difficult to find support – and these are more likely to end up as homicide victims.  'Generic' services providing for a range of client groups are not meeting the needs of those affected by domestic violence, as to intervene and offer support with domestic violence requires a different approach focussed on safety of the victim and an understanding of the difficulties facing the survivor in engaging and meeting services.  Future provision should ensure

  • A diverse range of specialist services to meet the needs of those fleeing domestic violence.
  • Cuts now should not jeopardise the existence of services that will be needed in the future for commissioners to commision appropriate specialist services.
  • Services need to be gender specific
  • Services need to be integrated and address all levels of risk
  • Commissioners require a government steer to ensure these services are commissioned.  The experience in the past has been that without clear government steer services are not prioritised and/or generic services are commissioned which do not meet the needs of survivors of domestic abuse.

 

  •  
  • Why does this matter?

    Domestic violence infringes on all aspects of a victims human rights, the government and public bodies have a duty to protect human rights.

    Appropriately commissioned services will save the public purse.  Domestic violence costs through

    • the cost of dealing with homicides
    • The cost of dealing with other crime (abh, gbh, common assault and other related crime – property crime, anti social behaviour)
    • The cost of lost economic outcome of victims of domestic abuse.  Empowering and supporting victims makes them more likely to enter the work place and become economically active thus contributing to local communities economies.
    • Cost of homelessness, cost of lost education for children living in households, cost to Adult social services, costs to children's services.
    • Costs to health – GP's, A&E, mental health services etc.
    1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

    Highlighted posts


    Comment on this idea

    Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know your thoughts.


    Back to top
    Add Your Idea