Add Your Idea

Introduce an annual Motorway card to use motorways

Comment 6th July 2010

Introduce a 'vignette' type system as used in Switzerland whereby  people who use motorways pay an annual charge of, say £50 to buy a card which entitles them to use Motorways.  A sticker on the windscreen with the year would indicate that this has been paid.  HGVs would also have to pay for using the motorways but the charge for commercial vehicles would be much higher – say £500. Fines would be charged if a car was using a motorway without having paid for motorway use. It could be incorporated into the UK car tax system and you pay for motorway use when you renew your tax disc.  Overseas road users would be able to purchase the motorway card online or at UK entry ports.

Why does this matter?

  • It would raise much needed government revenue
  • It would perhaps reduce congestion
  • It would mean that the many foreign HGVs which use our roads would contribute to upkeep and maintenance of the motorway network

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Highlighted posts

Comment on this idea

Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know your thoughts.

Back to top
Add Your Idea