Within the last ten years there has been an increase in the number of street lights erected throughout the U.K. For every one of the older style sodium street light that are removed, three new style halogen street lights are erected in its place.
There are a number of issues that this raises….
1. The luminosity of the new style halogen lighting is far greater than the sodium style lighting. This creates nuisance on many levels . Normal residential streets have these halogen lights on all night the increased luminosity created by the extra number of lamp posts erected and the lumens they expend is at a totally unacceptable level to allow the occupants of the houses to sleep comfortably.
2. There have not been any studies carried out of the effects that the increase in luminosity has on humans, animals,birds and insects.
3. There has been no evidence that the increase in street lighting has reduced the number of crimes i.e. muggings, burglary to warrant the propensity of street lighting and security lighting installed across the U.K . The installation of security lighting on residential dwellings are covered by planning regulations yet many domestic and commercial properties have inappropriate and excessive lighting installed that cause nuisance and grievance to the surrounding neighbourhood.
4. The reasons given by many Local Authorities for the increase in Highways and Byeways and street lighting is that they are carrying out Government Laws and European Directives and that the extra lighting helps to reduce crime and road accidents Both of these are lame excuses for the excessive wastage of public money in the production of electricity in the first place to be left burning all night at full luminosity.
5. The main reason that was put forward for changing over and using lower energy halogen lighting was to reduce costs. This was to be achieved by the ability to alter the luminosity of the street lighting to suit the environmental application . This cannot be happening if the number of street lights in cities, towns, villages , hamlets , highways and byeways has increased threefold exponentially and all street lighting is set at full luminosity across the U.K.
6. There should be a reduction in the number of street lights erected on highways and byeways by reverting back to the previous permitted distances between lampposts. Lighting in residential areas should be set at a more acceptable lumen level that does not create discomfort and nuisance to the occupants of the dwellings. The act of reducing commercial and domestic electric usage and street lighting that pollute our night sky globally would have a significant effect on the reduction of carbon dioxide production created by the excessive production of electricity .
Why does this idea matter?
Reducing the amount of electricity used for public amenities like street lighting and security lighting is important because of
1.The cost of electricity production in the first place .
2. The wastage of resources to create electricity to burn through the night at full luminosity.
3. By reducing the number of streetlights Local Authorities and central government use less electricity and can reduce running costs, save money and reduce carbon dioxide output.
4. This can be implemented globally.