Scrap the law that says that all schools must hold an act of (broadly Christian) collective worship every day because:
• It forces young people to pray or worship in other ways, regardless of their personal beliefs
• It does not respect children’s and young people’s rights to freedom of religion or belief
• It does not recognise the plurality of beliefs in the UK
• The system whereby you can opt your child out of religious worship is deeply flawed in theory and practice
• Under 16s can’t opt-themselves out without their parents’ permission
• Inclusive assemblies are a better alternative and contribute more to well being and development.
Why does this idea matter?
In the future, we should be an open-minded, egalitarian society, with no prejudices imposed on young minds. Children must grow up and think for themselves, without being exposed to anachronistic religious propaganda.