Dont just delay digital switchover – cancel it. We dont want FM to be switched off – ever.
There is no need for it to be switched off. It is an affront to our liberty that millions of our expensive and high quality radios will be rendered obsolete, together with millions of handy portable radios.
Mr Vaizey is apparently to say a decision will be made when more than half of radio listeners have tuned into digital – that is simply disgraceful.
I have listened to DAB once or twice. Does that mean I want FM swicthed off? Of course not.
Just because 50% of people may be surveyed and have said they “have tuned in to digital” does not mean FM should be switched off. DAB is a complementary servive, NOT an alternative.
Mr Vaizey is expected to say this afternoon: “So listeners need to be persuaded that the content on offer is compelling, that the quality is high and that digital radios, at home or in the car, are affordable and have listening quality that is at least as good as FM.”
Sorry Mr Vaizey, that is simply not the point. Even if DAB improves so that it is as good or better than FM, it does not mean that FM should be switched off. We want to use our existing radios. I may buy a DAB radio to use at home plugged in, or listen to digital on my freeview box sometimes, but it doesnt mean that I want my car and portable radios to be useless. And as far as compelling content, there is no reason that all content should not be simultaneously broadcast on FM. The BBC should broadcast radio 6 and radio 7 on FM forthwith!
STOP THE WASTE – BAN THE SWITCHOFF OF FM
Why is this idea important?
1. We all have many FM radios that are perfectly good, we dont need to replace them.
2. It is inappropriate to render analogue radios obsolete at a stroke, leading to most of them ending up in landfill. This is an anti-environmental policy.
3. Signal coverage of DAB is not as good as FM, so many people will be disadvantaged
4. Power consumption of DAB is high, meaning portable DAB radios are too large, too heavy, and run out of power too quickly
5. Government should not allow itself to be strong armed by industry vested interests. Of course industry would love everyone to be forced to buy new radios. Just because industry likes the idea, doesnt mean that it is a good idea.
6. DAB and FM should be allowed to coexist. They are complementary services, I am incensed that I will have no freedom to choose.
7. This site is called Your Freedom – well prove it – give us freedom to choose FM