The body exercises important public functions:
"Adjudicators main functions are:
- to determine objections to admission arrangements .
- to resolve disputes where there is local disagreement on statutory proposals for school reorganisation or on the transfer and disposal of non playing field land and assets.
- to decide on competitions for new schools where the local authority has entered the competition with its own proposals.
- to decide on requests to vary determined admission arrangements.
- to determine appeals from schools against a direction from the local authority to admit a particular pupil."