If your property burns down you should not have to apply for planning permsiion to re-build it.

If your property is located outside of a settlement boundary, in the green belt or in an area of outstanding natural beauty or in a strategic gap the council are able to refuse planning permission for you to re-build your property!  This could mean the loss of your home or business through no fault of your own.

If your property is different to its neighbours, ie taller or set at a differnet angle or has more or less parking spaces than the ever changing norm, because of the fear of setting a precedent you would not be allowed to re-build what you had.

The planning process is expensive and very long winded, taking at least 3 months from start to finish, invariably longer, for even a modest, straight forward extension let alone for a new house or commercial premises. If you have to go to appeal this could easily be dragged out to 12 months or more.

Why is this idea important?

If your property is burnt down, through no fault of your own, you should be allowed to try and return your life to normality as soon as possible. This means getting on with the task of re-building your property immediately, especialy if you are a victim of a crime ie Arson.

You should not have to pay the Council for permssion to re-build your own property.

You should not have to ask the Council to give you permission to re-build your own property.

You should not have to fight to get back what you legitamatly had before suffering the loss of your property.

If your property burns down it is traumatic enough without having to fight through a system which is on the verge of collapse.

Being the victim of a fire should not also lay you out to be a victim of the planning process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.