The effects of current EU procurement legislation are:
- massive overhead costs to public sector procurement
- rules which prevent best value being achieved
- slow procurement processes
- processes which prevent many SMEs from applying for public sector contracts
- reliance on poor value framework agreements as a means to avoiding full EU procurement regulations.
- A general procurement mindset which says that compliance with rules is more important achieving value for taxpayers money.
Removal or significant revision of EU procurement rules will greatly assist the government in achieving its public sector cost reduction objectives.