My idea is important because the freedom to CHOOSE allied with the responsibility of causing no harm to others is the cornerstone of a free and fair society. My idea is important because people cannot respect, take seriously or vote for leaders who create and pass laws that encourage the continued erosion of personal choice hence diminishing the concept of personal responsibility.
Some adults CHOOSE to smoke. Some adults CHOOSE not to smoke. We all unfortunately inhale second hand fumes and pollutants because of the car obsessed part of world we live in. However, if a publican and his/her staff are happy to allow smoking on their premises then they should be allowed to. Common sense, tongue in cheek and 21st century choices to make this a viable option are…
1) Compulsory and standardised air filtration systems fitted in smoking pubs to minimise or eliminate supposed (I say this because of the lack of real scientific evidence of passive smoking causing harm) passive smoking by non smokers who CHOOSE to attend these premises. In fact all publicans could have had one of these fitted 3 years ago instead of buying shelters, awnings, gazebos etc. to accommodate outdoor smoking.
2) Smoking Pub or Non-smoking Pub signs to be clearly shown outside, so no anti-smokers or innocent children can accidentally stray into the building. Anti-smokers (please note these people are different from non-smokers) can enjoy smoke free moaning without the rest of us having to suffer second hand whinging.
3) Smoking Pubs to be for adults only so no child is exposed to even filtrated second hand smoke, not because I think it is dangerous but to stem the inevitable objections from anti-smokers that even if they were willing to risk this environment 'what about the children'. Actually, this is win win for smokers, a quiet drink, smoke and a child free environment. (By the way good air filters would provide a less polluted environment than being on the pavement next to any road so your child would be better off in the pub).
4) Selected pubs to be designated as palaces, then just as at Westminster all smokers rather than just MP's who are smokers can CHOOSE to smoke in a civilised adult environment.
5) The enormous tax revenue from smokers to go straight to the NHS to cover almost 10 times the cost of smoking related illnesses . Or we could share it out between education and health then smokers would be helping save lives and improve the educational standards of the populace. The economy would boom due to our abundance of scientists, engineers and business whizz kids so we could all get self-cert super high mortgages again and kid ourselves that we are all one class now. (This idea would mean that working smokers were paying tax twice toward these public services but we are an easy going bunch and wouldn't mind).
Smoking Pubs and Non-smoking pubs….simples.