Relax the part 'P' regulations with regards to the qualified persons requirement for Electrical work in the house to a competent person.

This should include someone who has HNC/D, Degree, similar qualification or a specifically designed qualification (that can be taken at a tech college at a reasonable cost) or work experience/training dealing with Electronics or Electrical design or installation.


Why is this idea important?

Currently the only thing that a householder can do now with regards to electrical work is to replace like with like or a spur.

They are not allowed to undertake any other electrical work such as extending a ring or doing work in the kitchen or bathroom.

This restriction applies to anyone that does not belong to a specific set of trade bodies which cost upto £1000 to join per year.

This means that a lot of electricians are no longer able to under take work because of the hurdles that they have to jump to gain membership of the trade bodies (requirements to complete a certain number of house rewiring jobs per year every year).

Personally I find this situation laughable as I have designed electrical equipment for aircraft mixing 3 phase, multiple voltages both DC/AC, but I am unable to legally do any work on my house without the work being inspected at quite a considerable cost to myself either by the fee from the building inspector.

In at least one area I know that the building inspector has no training in electrical work but is signing off work. However you still need to pay the inspection fee.

One Reply to “Relax the qualified persons for Electrical work in the house”

  1. Part P is a complete joke,more accidents in the home have risen since it was brought in.
    And that is a statistical fact.Scrap Part P.ASAP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *