The Education Act, and Circular 1/94, are very outdated and say that all schools must hold an act of (broadly Christian) collective worship every day. Today's society is multi-cultural and the law causes offense by promoting Christianity and indoctrinating children into it. Religious bias should be removed from the law, it should be made much clearer and more fair.
Why does this idea matter?
Religious bias should be removed from schools because:
• It does not respect children’s and young people’s rights to freedom of religion or belief
• It does not recognise the plurality of beliefs in the UK
• The system whereby you can opt your child out of religious worship is deeply flawed in theory and practice
• Under 16s can’t opt-themselves out without their parents’ permission
• Inclusive assemblies are a better alternative and contribute more to well being and development.
The current law is flawed and out-dated. It needs to be reviewed and revised to promote an inclusive society and to reflect modern attitudes. Moreover it should be fair to everyone and it is currently extremely unfair.