Pubs are closing at a worrying rate. There are various factors causing this but the Smoking Ban is playing a significant part by deterring customers – conversations with landlords and the evidence of my own eyes confirm this to me. It is not just smokers who are using pubs less. The partners or friends of smokers (who may not themselves smoke) may be using pubs less because their partner/friend doesn't want to go and therefore they are reluctant to go on their own. A closed pub means jobs lost and, in rural areas at least, the community loses its centre of social interaction – possibly never to return.
My idea is important for six reasons.
1. It will save jobs.
2. It will save livelihoods.
3. It will save small communities from losing their social heart.
4. It will restore equal citizenship to smokers.
5. It will protect the interests of non-smokers.
6. It will give freedom of choice to all and take it from none..